Senior Metallurgist (Lakefield) Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Lakefield, Ontario, CA
SGS is the worlds leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With 70'000 employees, SGS operates a network of more than 1,000 offices and laboratories around the world. In Canada, we presently have a staff of over 1,700 employees and more than 40 locations from coast-to-coast. We have the following opportunity in our Minerals Group that would be based out of our offices in Lakefield, Ontario (Near Peterborough).
This position is responsible for the technical competence, work coordination, and scheduling for completion of laboratory and pilot plant research programs. The incumbent is responsible for client relationships/communications and meeting client requirements for successful project completion.
He/she ensures that work meets established quality standards and Company procedures. The incumbent is accountable for setting and monitoring project budgets and issuing project billing invoices. The incumbent has responsibility for health & safety, environment, productivity, and quality priorities, ensuring that all of these issues are addressed and optimized.
- Establishes methods and procedures to complete assigned work schedules and coordinates work activities with other Project Managers, Metallurgists/ Engineers and Technical Staff.
- Establishes and understands client’s needs and objectives for a successful project or campaign.
- Prepares projects technical and financial proposals.
- Carries out all the planning, scheduling and coordination required to execute a project or campaign.
- Implements project management methodologies for the planning and control of a project or pilot plant campaigns.
- Communicates routinely with clients, peers and sub-ordinates involved in each program.
- Prepares interim and final technical, reports, as required.
- Monitors project budgets and prepares project billing information for invoicing (when required).
- Responsible for monitoring and controlling or project budgets.
- Co-ordinates and oversees the set-up of machinery, equipment for laboratory and pilot plant circuits,
- Carries out pilot plant project planning and co-ordination including Hazops, technical protocols, sample planning and technical training of technicians.
- Reviews all equipment for Health and Safety standards
- Trains staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies.
- Promotes a team environment among staff.
- Ensures the training needs of staff are met and maintains a motivated workforce.
- Sets goals and reviews employee job performance and training needs.
- Constructively resolves work issues where they arise and recommends work measures to improve productivity and the quality of results.
- Follows all Health, Safety and Environment policies and regulations at all times.
- Some off-site travel for projects and extended hours on/off-site will be required from time-to-time.
- Possible travel to other SGS metallurgical laboratory locations in Canada or overseas on either short term assignments or longer term assignments as part of a strategic initiative.
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
- Group Manager
- University degree in Chemical Engineering, Mineral Processing, Hydrometallurgy, Mining Engineering, Materials Engineering or in a related engineering discipline or equivalent.
- 5 – 8 years of previous working experience in a minerals related field or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Previous experience in mineral processing, hydrometallurgy, gold extraction, flowsheet, development, bench scale and pilot plant programs including flotation, grinding, leaching, and solvent extraction would be considered strong assets.
- Previous experience in a consulting function with financial/budget responsibilities would be beneficial.
- Demonstrates above average verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Demonstrates the ability to write complex technical reports.
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- The ability to manage technical staff and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment is essential.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to multi-task.
- Candidates must be proficient in using various types of computer & business software, along with information management applications (ex. Word, Excel, Outlook etc.).
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional, environment and a very competitive compensation package.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World’s Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company
Job Segments: Chemical Research, Engineer, Metallurgy, Materials Science, Engineering, Manufacturing, Science