Senior Chemist Job
Date: Oct 9, 2013
Location: Guelph, Ontario, CA
This position is expected to oversee laboratory operations, Quality Assurance, and laboratory staff.
The primary job functions are to:
- Participate in scheduling workflow throughout the department by meeting turnaround and quality standards
- Participate in solving all day-to-day process and technical problems
- Review analytical reports for greenhouse, feed, compost, and fertilizer testing.
- Train and mentor departmental staff.
Laboratory Supervisor or Branch Manager
- Solve day to day production and process problems
- Work in partnership with other supervisors to solve client requests to ensure quality and customer satisfaction standards are met
- Train and motivate staff, set goals, review performance and assess training needs annually
- Ensure that each person within their responsibility has undergone proper orientation, and has sufficient knowledge, resources, and materials to perform his/her work safely
- Write analytical methods used in the laboratory based on official methods, review and update the Methods manual, SOP manual and other quality system procedures as required
- Perform methods validation where deviations from the official methods are used and validate new methods in response to market needs
- Accountable for maintaining production and quality targets, ensuring optimum staff levels to achieve production, quality and financial targets
- Assist in the supervision of staff to carry out laboratory analysis according to established methods and meeting Quality Control (QC) standards.
- Participate in the monitoring and maintenance of lab QC standards and the quality of all data released by the department.
- Assist Agriculture QA Manger in designing, co-ordinating and executing training programs that are consistent with management objectives, including quality system implementation, corrective actions, and continuous improvement.
- Plan and initiate procedures and systems necessary to ensure the maintenance and improvement of the company quality program.
- Manage and supervise the participation in several inter-laboratory check sample programs for the different tests performed in the laboratory
- Provide interpretation of results to customers includinganalytical variations and measurement uncertainties when required
- Contribute to the resolution of customer complaints. Investigate the nature of the complaint, identify the cause(s) and provide related reports to the Branch Manager and QA Manager.
- Accountable for routine and non routine equipment maintenance. Ascertain that critical analytical equipment are properly maintained and serviced to avoid production delays.
- Evaluate the procurement of new laboratory equipment when required.
- Responsible for their area housekeeping and cleanliness on a daily basis.
SGS is the worlds leading inspection, verification, testing and Certification Company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With over 75,000 employees, SGS operates a network of more than 1,500 offices and laboratories around the world. In Canada, we presently have a staff of over 2,000 employees in more than 40 locations from coast-to-coast. We have the following openings based out of our offices in Guelph, Ontario.
- A post secondary education, BSc. or MSc. in Chemistry, Food Science, or a related discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience, in a laboratory is required.
- Experience in an agricultural laboratory is an asset.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 17025:2005 standards.
- Sound knowledge of laboratory best practices.
- Familiar with official accredited methods such as AOAC, AOCS and AACC methodology.
- Must be proficient in using various type of computer software (LIMS, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Able to work well under pressure during high work loads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus quality of results.
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Extended hours and shiftwork may be required from time to time.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional environment and a very competitive compensation package.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer
Job Segments: Housekeeping, Agricultural, Chemist, Quality Assurance, Healthcare, Agriculture, Hospitality, Science, Technology