Wet Laboratory Technicians Job
Date: May 4, 2013
Location: Cochrane, Ontario, CA
This position will conduct a wide variety of testing and analysis on base and precious metal ores, industrial minerals and materials.
Department Supervisor or Manager
- Uses an applied approach in performing moderate/complex technological functions within various laboratory operations.
- Designs, develops, tests, installs and operates equipment and systems.
- Conducts applied research and experimental testing.
- Receive, inspect, sort and label client samples.
- Archive, return or dispose of client samples as per work sheet instructions.
- Log client samples into the LIMS system and prepare sample labels.
- Sort, crush, pulverize, split, and screen samples as required.
- May troubleshoot and repair equipment or components.
- Works from sketches, detailed specifications and verbal instructions.
- Interprets and evaluates all results.
- Calibration and set up of equipment prior to analysis.
- Maintain and record equipment calibrations.
- Carries out routine equipment maintenance under the direction of his/her supervisor.
- Compiles data, analyzes and prepares reports.
- Initiative and judgment required in applying standard procedures.
- Maintains a clean working environment.
- Some independent judgment is required in applying standard procedures.
- May provide guidance to more junior laboratory personnel and assume shift-leading responsibilities.
- Follows all company health, safety and environmental policies.
- Follows all Quality system protocols and reports any discrepancies to the Supervisor.
- May be asked to work in other areas of the Geochemistry department when needed.
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 75 000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1 500 offices and laboratories around the world. In Canada, we presently have a staff of over 1,700 employees in more than 40 locations from coast-to-coast. We have the following positions in our Minerals Group would be based out of our offices in Cochrane, Ontario.
- A post secondary education (degree and/or diploma) in a Science related program (Chemistry, Chemical Engineering etc.) is required.
- Related work experience maybe considered comparable or equivalent to a degree and/or diploma.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years of experience in a laboratory setting is required.
- Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples & various equipment.
- Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job. When in difficulty refer problems to his/her supervisor for resolution.
- Intermediate level of creativity required in solving routine problems.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) work loads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results.
- Candidates should be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure.
- Extended hours and shiftwork may be required from time-to-time.
- Travel to other SGS locations may be required from time-to-time.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional environment and a very competitive compensation package.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer
Job Segments: Geology, Chemistry, Laboratory, Chemical Research, Inspector, Engineering, Science, Quality