Share this Job
Lab Manager - Industrial Welding/Materials Job
SGS North America
Date: Oct 23, 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta, CA
This position will supervise all activities and staff within the Welding and Machining laboratory. The primary job functions are to:
1) Schedule the workflow throughout the department by meeting turnaround and quality standards.
2) Solve all day-to-day process and technical problems.
3) Supervise and train departmental staff.
4) Report customer results.
5) Reassign staff to adjust workload & determine need for staffing level.
6) Liaise & resolve customer’s queries/results.
7) Develop and verify test methods and procedures
- General Manager
- This works under general supervision
- Ensuring each person within their responsibility is technically competent
- Developing laboratory test procedures and ensuring test procedures are current, correct and being followed for all testing.
- Ensuring each person within their responsibility has undergone an orientation, and has sufficient knowledge for their safety and health while at work.
- Ensuring that each person has sufficient information, resources and materials to do their job safely.
- Directly responsible for their area housekeeping and cleanliness on a daily basis.
- Accountable for routine and non routine equipment maintenance.
- Directly responsible for ensuring all safety equipment is in place on a daily basis.
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
SGS is the worlds leading inspection, verification, testing and Certification Company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With over 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of more than 1,000 offices and laboratories around the world. In Canada, we presently have a staff of over 2000 employees in more than 40 locations from coast-to-coast. We have the following opening based out of our offices in Calgary, Alberta.
- A post secondary education (degree and/or diploma) in a Science or Engineering related program (Chemistry, Material Science, Chemical Engineering etc.) is a strong asset.
- A minimum of 8 years experience in a material science analysis related field.
- 1 – 3 years of previous supervisory experience is required.
- Strong leadership skills and experience in the supervising of small technical teams, ideally including the supervising of people in a laboratory.
- Knowledge of good laboratory practices and good management practices.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Candidates must be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.).
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure.
- Having a valid and up-to-date passport as travel to other international SGS and client locations could be required.
- Extended hours may be required from time to time.
- Travel to other SGS locations may be required from time to time.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional environment and a very competitive compensation package.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company.
SGS is an Employee Equity Employer
Job Segments: Welding, Industrial, Laboratory, Housekeeping, Chemical Research, Manufacturing, Science, Hospitality, Engineering
Find similar jobs: